Senior Research Engineer (Mechanical)
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work within the Floorcare research team to apply their skills and experience to invent and develop technologies that enhance the company’s technical advantage in future products. He/she will drive research projects from initial conception, through the various technology readiness levels, and finally into NPD projects. As a senior member of the team, the successful candidate will also be expected to use their experience to mentor and technically advise the junior team members, and to implement new ideas to help in the continuous improvement of the team’s research capability.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
- Deliver technology projects that support the future Dyson product range plan.
- Generate innovative concepts for new technologies.
- Lead and develop other Engineers to deliver new technologies and analysis techniques. • Identify experimental test programs and equipment to evaluate technologies.
- Conduct detailed practical and theoretical analysis of technologies.
- Design and build prototypes of chosen technologies.
- Analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range.
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
- Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an Engineering discipline, preferably Mechanical, Aeronautical or Mechatronics.
- Applied engineering experience in post-graduate academia or industry, in particular with relation to concept development.
- Firm technical understanding of Applied Mechanics and Dynamics, and proven ability to apply to practical problems.
- Experience managing or coaching other Engineers/Designers to deliver projects
- Ability to design, build and test detailed prototypes/technology demonstrators based on theoretical predictions.
- Ability to develop bespoke methods and rigs for visualising/measuring physical properties
- Good analytical and problem solving ability, capable of logically assessing technologies using a variety of methods.
- Proven ability to work effectively both individually and in a team environment.
- Persistent nature and an inquisitive attitude.
- Good organisational skills - able to plan ahead, prioritise tasks, and co-ordinate with the work of others.
- Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate technical information to project/research teams, managers and directors when required. Desirable
- Experience of scripting languages used to interact with control and automation devices.
- Experience of engineering analysis tools such as Minitab, LabVIEW, DIAdem, or Matlab.
- Six sigma qualified to green or black belt.
- Experience of Siemens NX.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.