Senior Mechanical Research Engineer
£Competitive, benefits include - 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
This role sits within the Motors and Power Systems team of our automotive function.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 650 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source. For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will drive research projects from their initial conception, through the various stages of technology development, to their eventual concept validation and successful transfer to the technology integration team(s). The successful candidate will also be expected to devise and implement new ideas to help in the continuous improvement of the team’s research capability.
- Deliver product focused technology projects to the Dyson range plan.
- Identify experimental test programmes and equipment to evaluate technologies.
- Drive the development and implementation of targeted measurement methods and equipment.
- Lead and develop other Engineers to deliver new technologies and analysis techniques.
- Generate innovative concepts for new technologies.
- Conduct detailed practical and theoretical analysis of these technologies.
- Design and build prototypes of chosen technologies.
- Analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range.
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
- Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
•Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an Engineering/Science discipline, preferably Mechanical, Aeronautical or Physics. •Demonstrable design or engineering experience in post-graduate academia or industry. •Solid technical understanding of Applied Mechanics and Dynamics, and proven ability to apply understanding to practical problems. •Experience developing bespoke methods and rigs for visualising/measuring physical properties •Experience managing or coaching other Engineers/Designers to deliver projects •Experience of engineering analysis tools such as Minitab, LabVIEW, DIAdem, or Matlab. •Ability to design, build and test detailed prototypes/technology demonstrators based on theoretical predictions. •Proven ability to work effectively both individually and in a team environment. •Good analytical and problem solving ability, capable of logically assessing technologies using a variety of methods. • Persistent nature and an inquisitive attitude. •Creative and product focussed ability to generate numerous concepts for new technologies Desirable •Six sigma qualified to green or black belt. •Experience of Siemens NX. •Previous experience with designing parts utilising rapid prototyping technologies such as SLA or SLS desirable. •Knowledge and understanding of injection moulding and manufacturing desirable.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.