Senior Mechanical Engineer
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer in the Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K. At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360eye robotic vacuum cleaner and recent investments in Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
Reporting to Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group focussing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for new and existing categories demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach.
The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and cost.
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power/torque density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
- Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
- Deliver mechanical solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards
- Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
- Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project
- Optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members
- Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships with technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BOM and assembly costs throughout a project
- Contribute to time planning and manage your time in line with project deadlines.
Education and experience:
Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Mechanical Engineering with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Specification, Analysis & Design:
- Significant experience in analysis of mechanical system techniques, including Finite Element analysis for structural, fatigue, vibration, thermal and acoustics
- Ability to simplify complex mechanical problem into mathematical models and perform preliminary performance prediction, analysis and design recommendation
- Experience on signal processing and rolling element diagnosis
- Expert knowledge of rotor dynamics analysis techniques and tools
- Good understanding of statistics and be able to use statistics as a tool on engineering decision making
- Experience in broad range of bearing technologies including but not limited to rolling element
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Strong technical expertise with breadth and depth covering materials (including composites), particularly for high stress and fatigue, rolling element bearings rotating up to and over 100,000 rpm, thermal properties and calculation / simulation methods / tools
- Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
- Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- DFMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability
Test and Validation:
- Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
- Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
- Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver high performance and reliable mechanical system solutions meeting cost, size and time requirements
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining) and common issues with these plus experience in manual and automated assembly techniques
- Appreciation of complying with national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
- PhD in a relevant field is highly desirable due to the University based PhD research elements
- Assembly supplier selection
Essential behavioural skills:
- The ability to deliver results within a project with little micro management
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills.