Senior Mechanical Engineer
SGD Competitive Remuneration Package
We are looking for Senior/Junior Mechanical Engineers (Analysts) to join Dyson Digital Motor (DDM) Research, Design and Development department.
Dyson Singapore was established in 2004 for precision manufacturing of Dyson digital motors – the core technology of our future machines. This pure engineering environment is alive with prototyping, testing and development.
Responding to global growth and our expanding technology portfolio, a £100m investment in our new West Park facility has increased motor manufacturing to 11 million units a year. It’s now also where we manufacture our hand dryers and fans. And with about 800 people –15% of Dyson’s global workforce – it’s destined to play an even bigger role in our future success.
Dyson Digital Motor Operations in Singapore is responsible for the manufacturing of Dyson’s digital motors that go into Dyson’s end products. Dyson’s digital motors and the associated technologies are the core elements that are critical to the success of our end products.
• Responsible for structure / airflow / vibration / impact / noise analysis of DDM mechanical components and assemblies from prototype to production.
• Conduct performance (aero/noise) validation and also other investigative testing to support project delivery on specifications.
• Responsible for DDM FRACAS (failure reporting, analysis and corrective action system). Support failure analysis, failure mechanism and root cause identification, and work with other teams (design team, quality team, equipment team etc) on design change, process improvement, quality control and corrective action implementation.
• Continuous improvement of product quality and reliability.
• Position is based in our R&D office in West Park/ Pioneer Crescent
• PhD/Master/Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or equivalent.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience for senior position.
• Familiar with engineering simulation software, e.g. ANSYS, for structure / vibration / impact analysis.
• Proficient in Six Sigma methodologies, tools (DMAIC/DMADV/MSA/DOE/FMEA etc) and have strong data analysis skills.
• Use of ad-hoc hand calculations and investigative experiments to evaluate the concepts/ideas and to support engineering decisions.
• Knowledge and experience of rotating machinery design (such as HDD, brushless motors, turbochargers, turbines or related) in areas of vibration, noise, rotor balancing, heat and wear/ tear are preferred.
• Knowledge and experience of using Matlab and Labview for signal processing and noise analysis are preferred.
• Proven experience of creative and methodical problem solving.
• Solid knowledge of mechanical properties, failure mechanisms and processing of engineering materials (such as steel, aluminum, zinc, copper, thermoplastic, thermoset and carbon fibre composite).
• Pro-actively resolving critical design, manufacturing, quality and reliability issues.
• A well rounded mix of experimental, theoretical and design skills.
• Able to understand engineering drawings.
• Experience on bearing quality control and bearing related vibration/noise is a plus
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize key activities according to project deliveries.
• Able to work in a self motivated way as well as in a team.
• Good verbal and written communication skills and able to communicate in a professional manner with all levels.
• Strong “can-do” attitude.
• Leadership - The senior engineers must be able to lead the issues to be solved.
• Exposure to working in a cross cultural and international team would be advantageous.