Senior Motor Drives Engineer
£ Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Reporting to Motor Drives Research Manager, you will join a growing team of motor drives engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group focussing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for low cost/high volume domestic/commercial applications. You will:
- Develop novel high performance electric motor topologies and construction methods
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry. Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project that would make a great product
- Use of 2D/3D static and transient electromagnetic Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to model detailed aspects of brushless motor designs
- Develop and use dynamic system simulation software (Matlab/Simulink, MathCad)
- Test & validate new motor drive designs
- Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
- Work with other Dyson motor drives, electronics, software, mechanical and aero-acoustics engineers from Malmesbury and Newcastle to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management
- Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships with technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BOM and assembly costs throughout a project
- Create and manage your own time using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated to the overall project plan and managed by the Project Manager regularly as well as efficiently.
Education and experience:
- A minimum of a good first degree in an electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent preferably with a machines and drives bias, together with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant field. Alternatively, you should have graduated from a relevant post-doctoral degree with a mix of high level of practical as well as theoretical knowledge.
Minimum technical knowledge:
- Expert knowledge of electromagnetic machine design theory coupled with extensive experience in the use of 2D/3D static and transient electromagnetic FEA, preferably using Infolytica’s MagNet
- Experience in the design of permanent magnet motors, including knowledge of soft and hard magnetic materials and their use in electrical machines
- Experience in the system level dynamic simulation of motor drives (including electronics and software aspects of the drive), preferably using Matlab/Simulink and its use in the development and optimisation of electromagnetic motor design and the motor controls
- Appreciation of various motor control techniques for low and high speed, single-phase and multi-phase permanent magnet and switched reluctance motors
- Extensive experience in testing and validation of electric motors, primarily permanent magnet and switched reluctance type •Have an appreciation of design-for-manufacture mentality and be able to consider the limitations of manufacturability early on in the design process
- Be creative to put expert knowledge in the field into tangible highly novel end products with strong performance improvements and Intellectual Property (IP) benefits
- Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering
- Be able to clearly report progress in regular update meetings together with a high standard of documentation
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical, aero-acoustic and thermal aspects of electrical motor design would be advantageous.
Essential behavioural skills:
- The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills.