Motor Drives Engineer
Working knowledge of the fundamentals of electromagnetic machine operation and an appreciation of machine design theory preferably coupled with experience in the use of 2D and 3D static and transient electromagnetic FEA software such as Infolytica’s MagNet.
- Practical and laboratory skills with confidence in the testing of motors and associated power systems.
- An understanding of system level simulation of motor drives (including electronics and software aspects of the drive) and the role of this in the integrated development of design and control
- We would prefer familiarity with Matlab/Simulink simulation tools
- An appreciation of motor control techniques for low and high speed, single-phase and multi-phase permanent magnet and switched reluctance motors.
- Be a creative thinker, highly self-motivated and self-reliant with enthusiasm for motors and power systems.
- Be flexible and open-minded to respond quickly to changes in project priorities and develop novel solutions. Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering.
- Be able to clearly report progress in meetings together with a high standard of documentation.
- A good first degree in an electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent preferably with a machines and drives bias
This is what we need you to do
- Research and develop novel high performance electric motor topologies and construction methods.
- Use of 2D/3D static and transient electromagnetic Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to model detailed aspects of brushless motor designs.
- Develop and use dynamic system simulation tools (Matlab/Simulink, MathCad) to: Accurately model motor performance Develop the motor controls to meet the target performance Optimise the electromagnetic design to meet product specific requirements, e.g. lowest cost/smallest and most efficient solution.
- Test & validate new motor drive designs Work with other Dyson motor drives, electronics and mechanical engineers from Malmesbury and Singapore to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.