Dyson Commercial Motors team is responsible for development and integration of electric motors into Dyson machines. The Senior Motors Engineer overseas the technical aspects of motor development from a products initial design stages to production working with global cross-functional teams.
This position requires energetic person who looks for new technical challenges, possesses strong enthusiasm to solve difficult problems, leading by example, improving the overall technical knowledge and stretching the capabilities of the wider team.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
Sometimes, making a technological leap forward means going back to the beginning. Since 1999, we’ve spent £150m building a motor from scratch – small, light and efficient, yet extremely powerful. Our motors are what enable our technology to be different – it’s why they’re protected by 20 to 30 patents. But the next generation demands new directions. Energy storage, robotics, nanotechnology and space-age materials. So our multi-disciplinary team, led by some of the world’s best power electronics engineers, knows that only the most pioneering thinking will do.
- Manage electric motor development and integration into Dyson’s new and existing products in specific time, spec and cost with good quality, performance and reliability.
- To review and sign-off the product specification when required.
- Review product specifications and provide resolution on the specific technical challenges and new design requirements for each key technology block with focus on:
*Ability to define and understand product’s electronics system architecture
*Knowhow of motor control system especially BLDC 3 phase motor & stepper.
*Knowhow for various sensing technologies
*Has experience developing consumer product which has AC series, PM & BLDC motors.
*Knowhow in product hardware and software integration
*Knowhow on electronics and motor manufacturing process
- Make regular technical communication with motor suppliers. Reviewing the intended design to ensure it will comply with Dyson’s product requirement, validation methods and quality standard.
- To drive the highest standards of reporting, communication and documentation.
- Lead investigations into resolving complex motor related technical issues and performance enhancements.
- Apply engineering skills & knowledge to deeply understand issues and ensure proven technical solution but to communicate this effectively to the global senior leadership team
- Early recognition of motor development project’s risk from and Propose and manage recovery plans for corrective action of technical issues / development bottlenecks.
- To be accountable for the motors technical risk sign-off as an independent view that all milestone deliverables have been met to the required standard of completion. Where deliverables have not been met satisfactorily, to work with the Design Manager to ensure the risks are highlighted within the Milestone Review.
- Troubleshooting significant operational and departmental issues that have been prioritized by management. These will take precedence over routine tasks.
- Required to capture technology related Lessons Learned items and include these in the Lessons Learned register. Each item must be evaluated to ensure that the Lessons Learned database avoids errors, conflicting information, repetition and invalid claims. Significant lessons should be brought to business attention.
- To identify opportunities and implement departmental improvements relating to engineering and design through Standards, Tools, Processes and Design guides across Global locations.
- To guide and mentor engineers encouraging professional behaviour via best practice and standards
- A degree in Engineering Electrical, Electronics, Industrial, Mechanical, Science or equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 years related working experience within research or development department.
- A recognized expert in their particular engineering specialty with a proven track record of identifying and solving engineering problems.
- Broad and In depth experience of engineering processes and tools in a product development environment including: Idea generation, Problem solving, Theoretical and practical experimentation, Development and testing (including reliability testing), Detail design, Approvals, Design and Research reviews, Pre & Post production support.
- Commercial knowledge of manufacturing and production methods
- Great analytical capability & familiar with statistical tools (SPC, DOE, DFMEA, Minitab etc.)
- Advanced in data acquisition hardware and software (Matlab, LabVIEW, C, Python, Visual Basic etc.)
- Experience of effectively guiding and mentoring teams and individuals.
- Overview the product/system design in order to advise and ensure design compliance and repeatability in volume manufacture.
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, annual bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition.