Senior PCB Coordination Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Reporting to the global PCB Engineering Manager and initially taking day to day management from the Electronics Supervisor, the successful candidate will become part of a busy PCB Engineering team working for Electronics within Research Design and Development (RDD).
The scope for this position is broad; in essence you will control and manage outsourced PCB & PCBA prototype activity from program schedule alignment through to delivery and inspection. It encompasses multiple functions, disciplines & skills; you will need good technical understanding of PCB and PCBA’s, an understanding of BOM management and of Supply Chain management, and be able to develop processes to support, build and drive the overall activity.
It’s a demanding role; you must be well organised and motivated, having a proven track record dealing with engineering program pressures, and meeting delivery targets & goals. You will regularly interact with different departments, program managers, engineers, and suppliers; so excellent communication skills will be required.
You will be able to self-manage and motivate, managing your own time in order to undertake the variety of activities required. This is a developing area of RDD, so a confident and adaptable person is required to deal with its challenges, and to drive its growth; including the potential for increasing and leading the team.
Dyson engineers are many things; within this role you must be able to provide solutions where you identify problems, be pro-active, and become technical resource for others. You must be innovative, enjoy being challenged, adapt to change, function within a team, but also work independently as required.
To meet these expectations we encourage our engineers to grow and expand their own capabilities, encouraging career development through training, experience and promotion; Dyson provides plenty of opportunities for motivated individuals to break through their own boundaries, to excel and drive their careers forward.
- Scheduling and controlling all PCBA prototyping activity for UK RDD Electronics project teams
- Liaising with internal Project Managers and Suppliers to ensure delivery matches requirements and deadlines
- Manage program targets with teams, reporting back delays, shortages or queries from supply chain
- Coordinating different builds between suppliers to avoid bottlenecks
- Become a single point of contact for RDD Engineering activities and external suppliers
- Manage, coordinate and control:
o Quotations. Managing data, arranging multiple quotes to teams requirements
o Purchase order generation using SAP system (training provided)
o BOM management, including shortages and concession control
o EQ management and engineering issues
o Deliveries and inspection.
- PCB/PCBA supplier management
o Quality scoring and control
o Technical capability assessment
o Outsourced BOM management
o Lead and drive supplier performance review with reference to quality and on time deliveries.
o Manage the relationships between PCB and PCBA suppliers to ensure consistency, quality, delivery and data transition.
- Creation of formalised prototype PCB management activity/team, plus improvements
o Understand Program & technician requirements, initiate conversations and generate requirements
o Creation of supporting processes and procedures, plus implementation
o Creation of Metrics to drive quality improvement, reduce delivery times & cost reduction
o Develop a global prototype service.
o Examine improvements for internal stock control system and supplier bonded stores
o Manage the procurement of components using existing suppliers, and identifying improvements
o Work with PCB lab team lead/technicians to define/maintain an inspection strategy
- HNC Engineering or equivalent as a minimum
- BEng degree in Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry, desirable
- Understanding of general PCB engineering principles; either design or manufacture
- Experience of Supplier Management and quality processes.
- Experience in working fast paced engineering environment to meet tight timing deadlines.
- Knowledge of Electronic Components and specifications.
- Previous experience dealing with electronic component suppliers.
- Understanding of Product Life Management (PLM) systems
- Methodical, organised & structured approach with attention to detail & accuracy
- Highly motivated, self-driven with a strong focus on results
- Ability to work independently or as an effective team member.
- Team Leading
- Excellent inter-personal communicator, with good written and verbal communication skills