Senior Project Manager - Research
The project manager will manage a multi-discipline team of engineers who are researching new technologies and components that will be utilised within Dyson next generation of products. They will ensure stage-gate deliverables are met in a timely manner and gain a sufficient level of understanding of the development to be able to communicate the projects status (including technical specification, cost and time) to senior management, whilst being comfortable in challenging the paradigm where required. The project manager may also, on occasion, project manage external research/development partners.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
When you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
- Ensure the team use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver a fully resolved solution to the correct standards
- Drives technical resolution of complete system
- Challenge concepts in order to achieve the optimum design within the boundaries of time, specification and cost, maintain and manage the Risk, Action & Issue List (RAIL) tracker
- Coordinate and communicate project status between teams within the research and development organisations to ensure effective and timely input; resolve conflicts and lead solutions
- Work with development teams to ensure new technologies maximize the performance of new products
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly
- Be responsible for the approach, quality and accuracy of the team’s work
- Project manage external research/development partners as required.
- First Degree (Engineering preferable) or equivalent
- Formal Project Management training/ qualifications are desirable but not essential
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Outstanding project management capabilities (i.e. estimating and planning, risk management, status reporting, budget tracking, benefits analysis, stakeholder management and communication, resource management)
- Strong communicator; ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence
- Excellent analytical skills; to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives without being tempted to dilute unpleasant news or back down from well-reasoned analysis
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of engineering processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment
- Commercially aware
- Excellent team-working skills.
General Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.