Senior PCB Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Reporting to the UK PCB Team lead, the successful candidate will become part of a busy ECAD team working for Electronics within Research Design and Development (RDD), generating integrated PCB design solutions and providing technical support to an expanding Electronics group. Our growth is also reflected by increased product categories and design diversity; expanding our technology roadmaps, and driving us to deliver smarter solutions. Your work will encompass everything from early conceptual prototypes to mass production design, with a wide diversity of PCB technologies and requirements.
It’s a demanding role and the ideal candidate will be an experienced designer, with a proven track record of creating robust, reliable high-quality designs; accurately, consistently, on time, every time. However you will also be able to self-manage and motivate, managing your own time in order to undertake a variety of PCB design related activities. Dyson engineers are many things; you must be able to provide solutions where you identify problems, be pro-active, and become a role model plus technical resource for others. You must be innovative, enjoy being challenged, adapt to change, function within a team, but also work independently as required.
To meet these expectations we encourage our engineers to grow and expand their own capabilities, encouraging career development through training, experience and promotion; Dyson provides plenty of opportunities for motivated individuals to break through their own boundaries, to excel and drive their careers forward.
- Technical leading for specific projects
- Promote consistent working practices & process adherence as part of a global team approach
- Act as a role model and provide technical leadership & support o Mentoring & coaching others when required
- Potential for line management tasks
- Liaise with project team to help generate a specification for each design.
- Help identify the best PCB technologies and practices to suit the requirements of each project
- Identify, and take initiative to provide solutions to PCB engineering problems through a methodical and structured approach, and provide technical guidance to others.
- Challenge & develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve technologies/design/product quality o Consistently apply, and drive adoption of BiC (best-in-class) principles
- Provide PCB technical support to reviews and meetings as required
- Proactive support to DfX and CAD optimisation teams
- PCB design (including single sided, double sided & multilayer, flex)
- Design for high volume, applying an embedded DFM approach
- Design for mains voltage, ensuring design compliance to safety requirements
- Constraint management
- Design validation, peer checking and design reviewing.
- Help maintain & update schematic database
- HNC Engineering or equivalent as a minimum
- BEng degree in Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry, desirable
Key PCB Design capabilities
- Design for Manufacture
- Flex technologies
- Mains potential voltage
- Knowledge of Creepage & Clearance design requirements
- Current carrying up to 40A, thermal management and power density
- Design for EMC
- RF design
- High speed
- Demonstrable high level of CAD experience and proficiency. Ideally, (but not essential):
o Mentor Graphics Xpedition Enterprise tools
o Valor tools
- Understanding of Product Life Management (PLM) systems
- Understanding of electronics product design in terms of process and quality
- Working to timescales o Ability to drive PCB design quality within a multi-functional project team
- Working knowledge of relevant IPC standards
- Familiarity with PCB/PCBA manufacturing processes
- PC and office applications literate
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Methodical & organised approach with attention to detail & accuracy
- Highly motivated, self-driven with a strong focus on results
- Ability to work independently or as an effective team member.
- Team Leading
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills