Senior Pickup Engineer
Senai, Johor Bahru
The Dyson Pickup team is responsible for delivering performance focused technologies that clean dust and debris from the floor. Marketing claims based on Pickup performance are key to Dyson’s success so the role of Senior Pickup Engineer is important for ensuring each technology is understood, robust and well controlled in production.
This person will work in an R&D environment and contribute to the development of Dyson products from the evaluation of new technologies right up to validation of the final product. This person will manage system specs, design, conduct development testing, monitor performance testing and provide suggestions to further improve the machine’s performance.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, they lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why any one of them can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
- Design and develop the technologies that clean dust and debris from surfaces, utilising proven and experimental scientific techniques
- Utilise signal acquisition and analysis techniques to measure system performance and quantify improvements
- Manage verification test programmes
- Ensure new systems/technologies satisfy the targeted performance specification.
- Assist Quality, Procurement and Current Support teams with Pick Up issues related to existing products.
- Communicate with suppliers to develop test rigs and prepare engineering samples for new product investigations
- Interface with Dyson UK R&D teams during new product development.
Key Competencies Required
- Proven ability to coach junior team members and act as a technical role model
- Proven ability to work autonomously
- Intermediate level user of any signal acquisition and analysis hardware and software
- Strong understanding of statistical & quality control techniques
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and project handling skills.
- Good understanding of mechanical drawings and performance parameters.
- Hands on experience on prototype preparation for testing
- Able to think clearly and provide direction in ambiguous situations.
- A proactive, self-starter and with a proven ability to deliver high quality engineering project work
- Has an aptitude for trouble shooting and problem solving.
- Applicants should be Malaysian citizens or hold relevant residence status.
Qualifications & Experience
- A Degree or Masters in Mechanical, Electro-mechanical, Mechatronics, Aero Engineering or a technical science subject
- 6 – 8 years of working experience in mechanical, electro-mechanical, mechatronics, aero engineering or technical science is desirable
- Certified 6 Sigma Green Belt and/or Black Belt with 3 – 4 years of applying it on the job is an advantage.
- Certified Statistical Engineering Apprentice (Shainin Methods) with 2 – 4 years of applying it on the job is an advantage.
- Knowledge and 1-2 years of hands on experience in 3D CAD and measuring techniques of engineering parameters is desirable
- A basic understanding plastic / metal part design and process.
- Excellent command of English (verbal and written) and able to communicate with all levels
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, management bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition.