Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Dyson has an opportunity for power electronics engineers to join the highly successful Motors and Power Systems group. Opportunities are available at both Advanced and Senior Engineer level depending on experience. The Motors and Power Systems group is a multidisciplinary team responsible for the development of Dyson Digital Motors and Lithium Ion battery management. Dyson Digital Motors are small and light, yet extremely powerful; they power the next generation of handheld vacuum cleaners as well as the Supersonic which is revolutionising hair care. As part of this group, we are looking to expand our Power Electronics capability.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
The Motors and Power Systems group is a multidisciplinary team responsible for the development of Dyson Digital Motors and Lithium Ion battery management. Dyson Digital Motors are small and light, yet extremely powerful; they power the next generation of handheld vacuum cleaners as well as the Supersonic which is revolutionising hair care. As part of this group, we are looking to expand our Power Electronics capability.
- Ensure the safety and reliability of Dyson products
- Create and implement world leading designs to produce high quality products.
- Take technical responsibility for the power electronic content of a project
- Deliver the production intent solution and documentation.
- Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global product requirements and standards.
- Communicate between all relevant teams to ensure effective project delivery.
- Develop and train others either within their own or the wider team.
- Opportunity for line management responsibilities
- Degree or equivalent experience in electronic engineering or comparable discipline along with demonstrable industrial experience.
- Experience in the design and development of motor drives / inverters / SMPS / power electronics products.
- Understanding of device characteristics specifically IGBTs, MOSFETs and emerging technologies in in real-world applications.
- Ability to thrive within a multidisciplinary team.
- Communicate complex ideas to a range of experts in different fields.
- Circuit simulation and analysis expertise (e.g. SiMetrix, SPICE or Matlab)
- Experience with PCB/schematic tools.
- Design for EMC/EMI
- Knowledge and experience of managing thermal issues
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a management bonus, generous leave, life insurance, income protection, and private medical and dental care. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, flexible woking hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.