Senior Process Development Engineer
£Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Dyson requires a skilled and highly motivated electrode process engineer to help it achieve its current and long term battery ambitions and support its RDD lab activities. Reporting to the Lead Cell Engineer, you will join a growing energy storage team in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group.
Your focus will be on the research and optimisation of coating technologies for application in energy storage. You will:
• Work with the team to develop and optimise novel electrode coating technology.
• Design and implement solutions for lab and pilot line coating, this will require solving problems by implementing precision engineering solutions
• Work within a team to produce robust process data which can be transferred to development and ultimately production level processes.
• Generate innovative solutions with strong & high value IP.
• Create plans and manage your own time using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated into the overall project plan.
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with a demonstrable level of process equipment design and engineering experience. Minimum technical experience and knowledge
• Equipment design:
- Experience optimising mixing and coating of small scale slurries for material performance, then scaling the process to large scale prototyping equipment. Ideally with experience of transferring to manufacturing scale.
- Experience at developing film deposition processes from novel materials. Demonstrated understanding of how to characterise material properties and develop a strategy to achieve a target film coating, including an understanding of the risks and opportunities for improvement in current technologies.
• Process development:
- Experience in utilising statistical methods to identify main effects and interactions within a process.
-Ability to work autonomously, balancing workload
- Knowledge of mass production manufacturing techniques and common issues with these, ideally with experience in automated assembly techniques.
• Experience within the coating industry, particularly design and development of coating machines.
• Experience with designing/modifying equipment to produce high quality coatings at high volume.
Essential behavioural skills:
• The ability to take a leadership position within a defined project.
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products.
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
• Excellent team working skills.