Process Development Technician - Motors
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
• Build precision prototype motors and sub-assemblies following defined processes to give repeatable and reproducible results
• Perform motor validation and acoustic tests, focusing on a thorough and consistent approach.
• Use precision measurement equipment and accurately record critical build and test data. Participate in gauge R&R studies
• Manufacture high quality assembly fixtures using workshop machinery as required.
• Develop assembly and manufacturing processes working in collaboration with Engineers and other Technicians
• Build test rigs including basic electrical wiring, compressed air and fire trace to pre-defined schematics
• Work to a tight schedule, prioritise workload and deliver on time
• Carry out testing on prototype motors following documented processes
• Support others in preparing and implementing motors into testing facilities
• Adhere to safe working practices and lab rules, challenging others when required.
• Proactivity seek to identify and implement as appropriate continuous improvement practices
• Execute duties which support the department by scheduled maintenance, equipment checks, housekeeping
• Undertaking peer reviews of others work providing constructive feedback informally or through reviews participation.
• Autonomously drive programs of continuous improvement activities demonstrating a business case where required.
• Take responsibility for a support function within the lab e.g. COSHH, Lab deputy, Equipment WI’s etc.
• Provide ad-hoc cover for the Motors Build Supervisor.
• Ability to interpret and interrogate engineering drawings and documentation,
• Detailed experience of complex assembly processes.
• Practical and methodical approach to problem solving with a keen focus on attention to detail and timescales.
• The ability to continuously improve the lab and its technology.
• Excellent verbal and written communication to convey information in an appropriate and concise manner.