Senior Product Approvals Engineer
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently and challenge convention. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. We are looking for an experienced, passionate and talented Engineer to join our global safety compliance team. Dyson has a rapidly expanding portfolio of products and technologies and has ambitions of selling in over 100 countries. This role is critical to driving design; providing expertise and advice to support business growth. The Senior Product Approvals Engineer is an integral part of the design team; developing new products to satisfy global approvals standards and legislation.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
For a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes our products different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson product are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, we play vital role in supporting the growth of Dyson.
- Ensure products are designed for compliance to relevant product safety standards and reinforce a ‘design for compliance’ approach.
- Be a source of technical expertise global standards and legislation.
- Work closely with internal departments, Dyson global offices and external certification bodies to deliver third party certifications
- Lead a product category/ small team
- Ensure compliance activities run smoothly using effective planning and reporting tools; highlight risks and escalate issues as relevant
- Contribute to new compliance processes and provide training and guidance
- Microbiology/Chemistry Degree as a minimum; further advanced (post-doctorate) and specialised degree(s) preferred
- Minimum experience of Global Regulatory research, application and certification (FDA,EPA,PMRA, MHRA)
- Standards and legislation expertise desirable, preferably consumer products
- Familiarity with global requirements (e.g. Health Care, Hygiene, Cosmetics, Pharmaceutical) would be favourable
- Well established external networks with working groups/ trade associations/ external bodies/ authorities
- Ability to interpret technical documentation and provide design guidance- strong communication skills are a must
- Autonomous and methodical approach with strong attention to detail
- Drive to demonstrate and lead the highest standards of Compliance
- Experience of working with multiple external organisations and managing simultaneous technical data files
- Experience of maintaining Global Databases
- Strong project management skills would be beneficial
- Excellent communication and reporting skills and the ability to liaise at all levels (including exec) within the business
- Experience of validation, inspection/audit and quality systems
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.