Product Design Engineer - NPI Industrial Designer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension, Free Onsite Gym
Dyson are looking for a strong, hands on 3D + 2D Industrial Designer to develop innovative upstream designs of our products. Working in the NPI Design and Product Experience team they will be designing products for our existing and future categories, formulating a Dyson ‘world class’ product experience.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
The Design and Product Experience team sits within the New Product Innovation facility and is responsible for the visual design, interaction, HMI and connected product experience. They work cross-category on projects from start to finish. A close relationship with the NPI Director and the senior leadership team enables them to deliver, alongside the hugely talented team of engineers and scientists, a world class product experience.
- Design our new products: Interrogate, investigate, propose and innovate our products.
- Work hand-in-hand with the NPI Director, in close collaboration with the New Product Innovation team and Research Design Development in the UK, initiating early concept stage product design and design development.
- Design our products: You will define the design, layout, material and process for our products with a user centred and ‘best in class’ approach. You will generate ideas that are both product enhancing and innovative.
- Prototyping and demonstration: You will be able to bring your ideas and designs to life through sketching, illustration, 3D modelling, rendering and physical prototype rigs. (Illustrator, Photoshop, 3D CAD etc…) They will work with the Modelshop to create more complex prototypes.
- User trials and insights: You will User trial options when needed to make a decision or validate a design. Managing/working with those responsible for insights, user trials and competitor analysis.
- Collaboration: You will work closely with engineers and designers of the design and user experience team to create outstanding products, as well as NPI/NPD category teams, insights, commercial, mechanistics and SEA.
- Communication: A key part of this role is to clearly communicate complex information in many different formats. These include graphical, verbal/presentation, interactive prototype demo’s etc.
- A degree in a relevant product/industrial design discipline or equivalent.
- A creative design engineer who is always looking to improve a product
- Self-driven and hands on 2D and 3D designer with ability to work independently.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the product development cycle.
- Assertive and diplomatic - a great collaborator
- A great eye for detail and a sensitivity to the visual aspects of a product
- Ability to understand a layout and technical constraints quickly in order to suggest the appropriate course of action
- Excellent product focused design skills – layout, graphics, sketching, prototyping along with problem solving and analytical skills.
- Product minded – your main focus is always on the product and the user experience
- Software Tools (preferable, not essential) – Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, 3D CAD, KeyShot.
- Excellent communicator both verbally, graphically and through use of sketches
- Actively interested in new materials and technology advances.
- Comfortable with ‘failure’ in the context of multible iterationsof testing and learning.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.