Senior Regulatory Specialist
£Competitive + Bonus + On-site Gym
We are looking for an experienced, passionate and talented technical Specialist to join our technical compliance team. Dyson has a rapidly expanding portfolio of products and technologies and has ambitions of selling in over 100 countries. This role is critical to driving design; providing expertise and advice to support business growth. The Regulatory Specialist is an integral part of the Global Compliance and Approvals team; developing new products to satisfy global approvals standards and legislation. At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently and challenge convention. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
For a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes our products different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson product are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, we play vital role in supporting the growth of Dyson.
- Ensure products are designed for compliance, meeting legal requirements in all countries of sale and all relevant product standards. Reinforce a ‘design for compliance’ approach.
- Be a Global Regulatory Specialist in Materials/ Polymers/ Chemicals/ Product Safety /Technical research
- Act as lead engineer/ scientist for new project/ technology investigations/ research Work as part of a global team of experienced compliance and approvals engineers and specialists to develop products from initial concept to global production
- Resolve complex technical problems where precedents do not exist
- Demonstrate a high degree of subject matter expertise; able to relay technical requirements to design teams effectively; responsible for full collation and dissemination of standards knowledge and revision,
- Be responsible for progression and delivery of multiple parallel data packages for global launches
- Provide a source of technical expertise for global regulatory standards and legislation; with ultimate responsibility for sign-off
- Provide well-advised Compliance Support for Banned and Restricted substances e.g. ROHS,REACH, WEEE Directives
- Work closely with internal departments, Dyson global offices, consultancies and external test or certification bodies, to deliver third party certifications
- Proactively identify technical risks within projects and influence design teams in their resolution, often taking the lead in the design and testing of the engineering solution
- Ensure compliance activities run smoothly using effective planning and reporting tools
- Provide training and guidance as appropriate
- Experience in a global regulatory role. Expertise in some of the following areas would be highly desirable.
- Chemistry / Materials or similar appropriate degree as a minimum; further advanced or specialised degree(s) preferred
- Demonstrable experience of global regulatory research, application and certification (e.g FDA, EPA, Korea MFDS, CCC)
- Experience of National / International Standards Committees, preferably in consumer products
- Well established external networks with working groups/ trade associations/ external bodies/ authorities
- Experience of working with multiple external consultant organisations and managing simultaneous technical data files
- Experience of validation, inspection/audit and quality systems
- Autonomous and methodical approach with strong attention to detail
- Drive to demonstrate and lead the highest standards of Compliance
- Experience of maintaining Global Databases
- Strong project management skills would be beneficial
- Excellent communication and reporting skills and the ability to liaise at all levels (including exec) within the business
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.