Senior IoT Research Software Engineer (Bluetooth LE, Wi-Fi, C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Node JS)
Malmesbury OR Bristol
In May 2016 Dyson launched the second of its connected products, the Dyson Pure Cool Link, which joins our existing 360 Eye robot vacuum cleaner with its companion eco-system, Dyson Link. Dyson Link is our IoT solutions to enable Dyson products to work in a connected environment. It includes the key components required to create a connected product, from mobile apps, web/CRM integrations and cloud services (provisioning, asset management, message routing, product/app analytics, persistence and scaling).
The Connectivity Research Team is responsible for ensuring the next generation of connected products and technologies are properly explored, tested and refined in readiness to transition to the team responsible for producing our IoT solutions. This includes ensuring we investigate and utilise the right technologies, techniques, services and security. Core to this is exploring the proposition, technologies and development by implementing proof of concept integrations and systems. This is an ideal role for a talented, multi-skilled engineer who thrives at being at the forefront of technology and in particular IoT related technologies. It is a unique opportunity to help define Dyson’s future IoT connectivity architecture and technologies.
- You will be working in a global multi-disciplinary team including mobile and cloud Developers, app and product UX/UI designers and electronics and mechanical engineers.
- You will often be collaborating with experts from different areas of RDD (Research, Design & Development), designing how connectivity is woven deeply into our products.
- You must be independent and methodical with excellent problem solving skills.
- It is essential to be knowledgeable about the latest trends in connectivity and mobile technology and comfortable with rapidly picking up new technologies.
- A thirst to overcome problems and limitations in order to reach our vision is absolutely essential.
- You should be experienced with rapid prototyping of electronic hardware, investigating and evaluating new and emerging technologies, protocols and digital platforms.
- Produce clear and concise reports and presentations communicating your research and demonstrating your solutions.
- Work closely with other R&D groups to research and develop next generation platforms and architectures for connectivity helping to realise the embedded connectivity strategy.
- Support the product delivery team with the early stages of transitioning prototypes to production.
- Design and validate new features, often with prototype hardware.
- Assist with mentoring other members of the team.
- As a senior engineer you will assist with the strategic alignment for connectivity solutions and can provide the necessary technical knowledge, expertise and guidance where required.
- Excellent programming skills with a minimum of 5 years C / C++.
- Good analogue and digital electronics fundamentals.
- Embedded experience working with different microcontrollers and platforms (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, ARM, Linux and RTOS environments)
- Excellent software and rapid prototyping experience.
- Understanding of embedded systems design and integration.
- Experience working with connectivity communication protocols.
- Track record of working with 3rd parties to explore technology.
- Proven track record of developing robust requirements specifications.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply.
- Good understanding and experience of application development practices.
- Experience interfacing with embedded systems (M2M), sensors and data collection.
- Experience of developing proof of concept embedded prototypes to an accelerated timescale.
- Experience of integrating embedded systems with mobile and cloud solutions.
- Experience of developing systems that use messaging services to communicate.
- Good creative skills with the ability to create appealing application interfaces and compelling user interactions through hardware and software interfaces.
- Experience with user orientated design and the quantifying of seductive value propositions.
- A strong understanding of/ability to define and prototype the hardware solutions that will benefit most from connectivity.
- Knowledge of IoT protocols (BLE, MQTT, Coap etc).
- Experience with programming for resource constrained devices.
- An understanding of encryption and security.
- Experience with system architecture design.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships with others.
- Able to take accountability for deliverables and focus on achieving them in a timely manner to the highest quality standards.
- Customer focused and keen on exceeding expectations.
- A strong understanding of product.
- Self-motivated, dynamic and results-driven.
- Professional in tense or challenging situations.
- Clear communication, good inter-personal skills at all levels of contact.
- Ability to work across boundaries and bring together a wider number of disparate elements in a cohesive way to enable a vision.
- Strong planning & time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload (both your own and others).
- Sensitive to cultural differences across a global company.
- Ability to be flexible as part of a small team in a growing company.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.