Senior / Advanced Research Engineer (Thermodynamics)
£Competitve + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
As the Senior Research Engineer in Thermodynamics Research, you will lead a small multidisciplinary team of researchers through the Technology Readiness Level Process.
You will identify and scope fundamental and applied research projects. Working closely with other teams and departments, you will ensure the investigations proceed at the correct pace and at the appropriate resolution. Applied research work typically spans TRL 3 to 7 and is linked with a well-defined product vision.
- Identify core technology specifications important to achieving the overall product vision specification
- Scope a technology investigation and identify major lead times, resource constraints, costs, and mismatches with the products milestone plan.
- Search, on-board and manage prototyping suppliers.
- Build, test and trade-off feasible technology prototypes.
- Optimise prototypes for product integration and representative operating conditions.
- Assist with the selection of materials, manufacturing methods and suppliers for mass production.
Fundamental research work typically spans TRL 0 to 5 and results in technology or fundamental knowledge which could feature in a future product:
- Identify an interesting core technology (or phenomenon) for investigation in line with the company vision.
- Perform a background investigation of literature and patents.
- Propose a scope of work and possible product applications.
- Create a model of the technology and build prototypes.
- Validate models and refine the prototype design.
- Interested in both theoretical modelling and practical testing.
- Design and build of test rigs.
- Willingness to work in an industry R&D environment which spans fundamental proof-of-concept research to design for mass manufacture.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous environment where project requirements change regularly
- Confident enough to present and defend research work in front of James Dyson.
- Undergraduate degree in science or engineering
- Good understanding of heat transfer, mass transfer, materials, and manufacturing methods.
- Experience coding and validating numerical models of physical systems
- Experience creating physical simulations in packages such as COMSOL, ANSYS or similar
- Hands-on experience building experiment rigs, performing experiments and analysing data.
- R&D experience in industry or academia
- Experience leading small technical teams