Senior Research Engineer
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
The Senior Aerodynamics Engineer will work within the Floorcare research team to apply their skills and experience to invent and develop technologies that enhance the company’s technical advantage in future products. He/she will drive research projects from initial conception, through the various technology readiness levels, and finally into NPD projects. As a senior member of the team, the successful candidate will also be expected to use their experience to mentor and technically advise the junior team members, and to implement new ideas to help in the continuous improvement of the team’s research capability.
- Deliver product-focused technology projects to the Dyson range plan.
- Generate innovative concepts for new technologies.
- Conduct detailed theoretical and numerical analyses of these technologies.
- Design and build prototypes of chosen technologies.
- Identify experimental test programmes to evaluate technologies.
- Lead and develop other Engineers to deliver new technologies and analysis techniques.
- Analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range.
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
- Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an aerodynamics-based engineering discipline – MEng, PhD or similar.
- Industrial or PhD-based experience of the application of CFD or experimental techniques in aerodynamics to enable project success.
- An advanced knowledge and understanding of theoretical, experimental and numerical aerodynamics.
- Track record of innovation and problem-solving ability.
- Experience with working in a large team and preferably large cross-team environment.
- Experience managing or coaching other Engineers/Designers to deliver projects.
- Proven ability to work autonomously with the responsibility to deliver to tight project deadlines.
- Keen interest in keeping up-to-date with the latest advances in numerical and experimental aerodynamic techniques.
- Persistent nature and an inquisitive attitude.
- Good organisational skills - able to plan ahead, prioritize tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
- Have an understanding of core engineering test procedures and equipment. Able to specify experimental programmes and effectively analyse results, summarise findings and make recommendations.
- Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate technical information to project/research teams, managers and directors when required.
- Six sigma qualified to green or black belt.
- Experience of Siemens NX.
- Experience of engineering analysis tools such as Minitab, LabVIEW, DIAdem, or Matlab.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.