Senior Robotics Engineer - New Product Innovation
£Competitive plus Bonus, Pension, 27 Days Holiday
You will focus on new ideas and early concept generation for Dyson's robotic platforms. Collaborating with the Research, Design and Development departments, you will provide independent and detailed design, engineering and technical direction to others to ensure our products fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
The NPI Robotics team will offer you the opportunity to use your experience to help develop the next generation of consumer technology for Dyson. We encourage engineers to use their technical skills to develop products that meet our ambitious performance, cost and time requirements. To do this we need engineers who are flexible in their approach and who use their knowledge, determination and passion to create products we can be proud of.
Join a growing team working to put useful robotic systems into the homes of the general public. We are looking for people to help us investigate robust solutions to diverse real-world problems in machine perception, actuation, or intelligence. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products. Successful candidates will be working in a supportive environment within a team of experts that is constantly aiming to improve itself and the world of robotics.
- Identify and apply new technologies in innovative ways to support the vision specification for new product concepts, either to solve problems or to create product opportunities.
- Guide and mentor engineers encouraging professional behaviour, Dyson design methodology, best practice and standards
- Use hands-on prototyping skills to design and build proof-of-principle rigs to demonstrate a method or idea.
- Evaluate performance of new concepts and technologies, and assess potential risk areas.
- Work with research teams to integrate new developments into the proposed design.
- Participate in brainstorms and gather research to support concepts.
- Take an active role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Prepare for (and participate in when required) design reviews with Design Managers and Concept Design Director.
- Communicate effectively with other relevant teams within RDD and maintain appropriate supporting documentation to ensure smooth hand over of projects to subsequent development.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver robust design solutions in agreed timeframe.
- Participate in design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- A relevant PhD in robotics engineering, or equivalent industrial experience.
- Experience of software development (C++/Matlab), electronic design/prototyping, and mechanical design/construction.
- Experience of high-level robotics concepts and algorithms.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- An understanding of practical and methodical development through prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a management bonus, generous leave, life insurance, income protection, and private medical and dental care. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.