Product Safety Engineer
- Promote cultural awareness of product safety keeping informed and vigilant of global status while supporting any required corrective action;
- Support, through a matrix environment; market Safety teams to produce timely safety insight through a co-ordinated and structured approach.
- Act as the guardian of safety knowledge and data for a dedicated product category within the Dyson range.
- Work alongside market safety teams to produce and maintain standardised reports, trackers and dashboards to communicate category status.
- Where appropriate support the escalation of market issue. Lead and monitor to ensure appropriate and effective corrective action.
- Champion the correlation of product safety requirements across functions such as reliability, consumer satisfaction, and manufacturing and supply Quality.
Act as the focal point for category level safety development decision, monitor and report throughout the development life cycle;
- Actively advocate continuous improvement activity taken from existing market knowledge into future development programs supporting the needs and requirements of innovation and development teams.
- Ensure engagement during development, emphasising shared responsibility in achieving safe and reliable design.
- Consult and advocate best practice through participation in safety risk assessment such as FMEA, Fault tree analysis and Hazard Identification.
Select and conduct appropriate ad-hoc analysis to support and influence design direction and decision making.
- Publish timely reports on development status, with relation to product safety, at defined development milestones across a portfolio of development projects.
- Record and catalogue all safety decisions through development and final manufacture. Create and present all required documentation to the Dyson Product Safety Committee and Head of Quality.
- Act as the category representative to co-ordinate required action dictated from the Dyson product Safety committee with associated development teams.
- Analyse and assess product designs and associated qualification test data, requirements with acceptance evidence, non-conformances and limitations to justify internal Dyson Safety standards are met prior to launch. Lead in the development of method, technique and approach to Product Safety assessment and design within the Global Quality function;
- Continue to integrate new KPIs and metrics to quantify and measure product safety both for development and in market product.
- Keep informed of industry best practice and norms. Research and integrate where necessary into Dyson process.
- Lead, motivate and coach a small team of safety engineers.
- Pro-actively conduct technical research into industry specific safety guidelines or design practice.
- Attend the specific Safety steering committee, on behalf of Global Quality, to support and develop cross functional activity related to product safety across a vested stakeholder group.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours:
- Demonstrable experience in safety engineering/ product safety, and activities contributing to the production of safety cases and reports.
- Knowledge and experience in systems engineering, requirements, design, validation and integration.
- Knowledge and application of Safety assessment techniques.
- Broad technical strength across electrical systems, electronics and software with an understanding of basic mechanical engineering.
- An open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook. A team player.
- Patient with a mentality that thrives in fluid, dynamic and often unstructured environments.
- Ability to change priorities quickly and deliver simultaneously across projects of different priorities and pace. Results driven.
- Excellent communication skills able to convey ideas simply to a diverse audience. A confident presenter of complex technical subject matter.
- Quick learner, willing to be flexible in tasks and activities taken on.
- Line management experience with the ability to lead, coach and develop.
- Experience in a relevant industry such as consumer electronics.
- Knowledge of processes leading to compliance with industry regulatory standards.
- Multilingual language speakers.
- Degree educated with a preference to Electronics, Software or Systems Engineering or similar discipline.
- Good achievement at A-level or equivalent (3+ A/B in maths/sciences).