Senior Scientist - Consumer Science
£Competitive + Bonus, Pension, 27 Days Holiday
Reporting into the Principal Scientist Product Mechanistics lead in the UK, you will be part of a team of other specialists covering all facets of consumer behaviour & product experience. You will be responsible for developing and leading capability integration of perception and sensory science techniques enabling the definition and measurement of critical consumer interaction cues for Dyson products.
Dyson is a fast paced environment with high demands on quality and novel innovation. It is known for its fresh approach to Design. The successful candidate needs to thrive under pressure and be able to deftly juggle priorities and flex to the dynamic and agile environment that comes with this creative setting.
The Product Mechanistics team are the lynch pin between all other functions driving most action at the front end of innovation; setting the benefit strategy and defining the white space opportunity for USPs across a number of categories. Critically, this team set the right technical measures and work packages to qualify a product and by going beyond diagnosis of specific behavioural symptoms they are able to drive a long term platform for desired product experience that inspires Dyson technologists & Designers to step change performance.
- Work continuously with the Principal Scientist Product Mechanistics team lead, Head of Category, New Product Development and Research to develop a user benefit strategy built around improving the consumer experience & maximising perception cues within our products.
- Provide exceptional communication cross functionally (Research, NPI, Marketing and Consumer Insights) to enable rapid utilisation of insights and maximum impact for projects in line with overall scope and priorities.
- Responsible for planning and executing user focused research projects across a variety of briefs, leading to technical product specifications and recommendations to the design teams.
- Quickly spot opportunity for integration of innovative research methodologies in projects and be committed to building the capability of the consumer experience team to best represent consumer requirements in market
- Knowledge of a variety of techniques to bring out the deep mechanical and user behavioural insight needed to drive product development forward
- Must have experience of working with remote teams and managing complex stakeholder relationships
- Experienced in both strategic development and tactical project implementation
- Must be driven by continual learning, not constrained by current methodologies and be able to learn from failure
- Track record of being able to simplify numerous complex data sources and behavioural learning into clear and actionable insights.
- Demonstrable experience in a research role, ideally in multiple industries and including experience of sensory application in non-food industry
- Background in Air quality / thermal comfort research and / or skin science would be advantageous.Significant research experience with a wide view of diagnostic techniques and creative applications across qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, able to marry technical insight to consumer perception seamlessly, creating consumer centric design metrics that uncover unobvious insight that amplify user benefits
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.