Senior Supplier Quality Engineer - Heater
Dyson began twenty three years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Japan, Europe and Australasia.
We've even branched out to improving commercial technology that frustrates us. The Dyson Airblade hand dryer dries hands in ten seconds, it’s also the most hygienic and energy efficient hand dryer available. And more recently a fan, Air Multiplier, with no blades or grille.
There are over 8000 in the world and we’re all inventive and hugely passionate about what we do. At our Development Centre in Johor Bahru, Malaysia & Singapore there are almost 1600 of us, a mixture of engineers and support staff, we are Dyson people that are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. Our teams there will rise to more than 2000 over the next 2 years.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
Dyson machines are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, building our own machines to test our machines. 24 hours a day, seven days a week we put them through their paces. We analyse data and customer feedback, relentlessly improving product safety, reliability, usability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the benchmark for the next. And with so many new categories on the way, our Global Quality & Reliability team will need to be more inventive than ever.
1. Supplier Quality Management, Development and Supplier process improvement
Working with the supplier/s ensure that their process capability is established, agreed, understood and monitored
Collect and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain.
Ensure suppliers Quality readiness for NPI and SOP for all product categories
Working with the supplier directly, create corrective action plans to address process failures.
Review supplier manufacturing processes/yield, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities.
Regularly communicate with Engineering, Manufacturing Quality, and Procurement internally to identify opportunities for quality and productivity improvement.
Collect and maintain supplier performance metrics.
Coordinate with Engineering, Manufacturing and Product Quality to ensure awareness to known purchased part or product quality issues.
Coordinate with Engineering, Manufacturing and Product Quality to ensure that the suppliers capabilities are understood and any gaps in requirements are planned for closure
Ensure that alignment and agreement is reached between Supplier/s Engineering and/or Manufacturing for Dyson drawing sign offs, taking in to account the suppliers capabilities to meet the requirements
Assist Procurement in conducting Supplier Audits, reviews assessments and categorizations of new and existing suppliers for selection and de-selection
2. Support corrective action process
Ensure that the Suppliers RCCA process meets minimum Dyson requirements and expectations
Participate in SEA Quality meetings and present purchased part or product quality issues.
Investigate reported external quality issues that are believed to be purchased part or product driven and present findings at SEA Quality meetings.
Perform, lead or coordinate root cause analysis on purchased part or product quality issues and work issue through containment phase of corrective action process.
Communicate and instruct suppliers on the use of a corrective action process and quality tools & techniques.
Participate in the Corrective Action Review Board (CAR)
3. Support Supplier Qualification and Disqualification
Maintain supplier performance and audit results.
Identify repeat quality issues by supplier and maintain supplier quality scorecard.
Recommend suppliers for qualification and / or disqualification based upon quality performance in conjunction with Procurement and Engineering.
- Essential Skills
- Candidate must possess a Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering with minimum 8 ~10 years' experience in an engineering/quality capacity in a manufacturing environment
- Strong technical background and knowledge in Heater manufacturing technology and processes will be of added advantage
- Familiar with PCBA manufacturing and Quality management
- Good understanding of statistical methods, quality tools and methodologies. eg. 8D, 5 Whys, GR&R, SPC, DOE, FMEA, Control Plan, APQP, DMAIC etc…
- Proactive and driver ship approach to anticipating issues, enforcing decisions, balancing opportunities and mitigating quality risks as early as possible.
- High performance and efficient worker with a track record of delivering on commitments
- Strong analytical problem solver with demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment while working independently to resolve supplier quality issues
- Detail oriented and able to multi-task in a high energy and fast paced-environment with critical and tight schedules.
- Demonstrate understanding in full of engineering specs for component or assembly sourcing.
- Lead auditor trained or with many years of leading supplier audit, supplier qualifications
- Leadership ability and strong social skills towards global and cross-functional team
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interface effectively and professionally internal contacts at all levels of the organization.
- High Adaptability, self -motivated, independent and results-driven
- Experience in working in an environment where specification and process are not always predetermined.
- Motivated by driving continuous improvement programs and application of Lessons Learnt mind-set.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma (DMAIC/DFSS) will be preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in project management will be plus point.
Seeks to stretch and enhance the role of Quality across Dyson interfacing functions. Supports others within the functions, users and suppliers so that maximum value is derived by all processes
Self motivated, independent, results-driven
Passion for delivering results and product quality
Process change / improvement skills are essential
Analytical and Attention to detail is a must