Senior Technician (Automotive)
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 517 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source.
For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
• Build precision prototype rigs/systems and sub-assemblies following defined processes to give repeatable and reproducible results
• Use precision measurement equipment and accurately record critical build data. Participate in gauge R&R studies
• Manufacture assembly fixtures using workshop machinery as required. Manual milling and turning.
• Develop assembly and manufacturing processes working in collaboration with Engineers and other Technicians
• Build test rigs including basic electrical wiring
• Work to a tight schedule, prioritise workload and deliver on time
• Support others in preparing and implementing systems/assemblies/rigs into testing facilities
• Offer advice and guidance to engineers on the most effective and efficient method to produce components.
• Manage and organize the safe and effective use of a Development lab by the team.
• Be responsible for purchasing / replacing tools, equipment and consumables for the lab.
• Take ownership of all H&S aspects affecting the lab; COSH register, risk assessments, safe working practices, etc.
• Proactively seek to identify and implement as appropriate continuous improvement practices
• Education related to Engineering (ITE / Diploma / Degree)
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
• Ability to interpret and interrogate engineering drawings and documentation
• Experience of complex / skilled assembly or maintenance work
• Practical and methodical approach to problem solving with a keen focus on attention to detail
• General administrative skills for record keeping, safety certification, etc.
• Excellent verbal and written communication to convey information in an appropriate and concise manner.
• Display a basic competence of MS Word and Excel.
• Knowledge of COSHH and risk assessments
• Demonstrate the ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
• Maintain a positive attitude with the willingness to approach any task, display drive and enthusiasm to succeed.
• Have a flexible attitude being adaptive to changing priorities
• Ability to adapt approach to an ever changing environment day-to-day
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
• Work within the lab in an organised and efficient manner
• Automotive, or relevant industry, build experience.
• Experience with running test software (ie. Lab View)
• F-GAS trained, understanding of pressure systems, experience with working with refrigerants
• Setting up and managing a development lab