Senior Process and Equipment Technician - Energy Storage
Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a motivated and dynamic technician in the Energy Storage team within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the announcement of our development of an electric vehicle and investments in Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward. Dyson has invested in a R&D laboratory to support the development and testing of novel battery designs. The battery facility is completed and is now scaling up activities. This growth has created an exciting opportunity within the team for an individual who is keen to get hands on with the development of the next generation of batteries.
Dyson requires a skilled and highly motivated technician to help it achieve its current and long term battery ambitions and support its RDD lab activities
- Take responsibility for hands on tasks including the production of small to medium sized parts and rigs for testing.
- Assist with the fabrication of R&D test vehicles (Swagelok and pouch, coin).
- Support with the production of electrodes, including the optimisation of equipment where necessary.
- Ensure all the relevant documents; process, COSHH, methodology and data records are updated as required.
- Ensure safe disassembly of test vehicles after cycling and components are thoroughly cleaned and dried and maintained in a good state of health.
- Assist monitoring and replenishment of lab chemicals and other consumables items as required.
- Assist with safe disposal and storage of spent chemicals.
- Take responsibility for organising routine maintenance, stock checks and replenishment and ordering of laboratory consumables.
Education and experience:
- Experience of working in a workshop environment
- Hardworking and keen to learn
- Good track record for attention to detail
- Methodical approach to work
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Strong problem solving skills exemplified by the ability to diagnose and rectify problems
- Good written and verbal communication
- An understanding and experience of good lab practice, including health and safety, COSHH and risk assessments
- Degree in a physical science discipline (e.g. Physics; Electrical Engineering; Chemistry)
- Experience of working in laboratory environment
- Ideally experience working in a battery prototyping environment
Essential behavioural skills:
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Excellent team working skills.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.