Software Development Engineer
SGD Competitive Remuneration Package
Dyson began twenty one years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Japan, Europe and Australasia.
We've even branched out to improving commercial technology that frustrates us. The Dyson Airblade hand dryer dries hands in ten seconds, it’s also the most hygienic and energy efficient hand dryer available. And more recently a fan, Air Multiplier, with no blades or grille.
There are over 4000 in the world and we’re all inventive and hugely passionate about what we do. At our Development Centre in Johor Bahru, Malaysia & Singapore there are almost 1600 of us, a mixture of engineers and support staff, we are Dyson people that are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. Our teams there will rise to more than 2000 over the next 2 years.
Not too far away is West Park, our flagship advanced motor manufacturing facility where we develop our autonomous robotic manufacturing capabilities – more than 300 robots assemble our Dyson Digital Motor (DDM) here. It is here that we develop our next generation of motor technology.
Our team mission is to create a baseline of how we do things in HW and SW and provide the right set of integrated tools for development and delivery in Dyson. We provide the bridge between development and operations. We will explore and develop the most effective way to use our suite of tools to enable us to accelerate our development & ensure we are ‘best in class’. We will also own the development sandpit for future tools and ways of working. We will specify and evaluate new tools needed for our HW and SW team and will ensure we are keeping up with world class standards in development.
You would be working alongside the project delivery and development teams to create the right tools and environment to enable the development teams to excel. In this role, you'll work collaboratively with software engineering to deploy and operate our systems. Help automate and streamline our operations and processes. Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations. And troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, test and production environments.
- Assess various software teams and identify areas for system and process improvements.
- Evaluates existing applications, platforms and tools used in the continuous delivery (CD) process (entire software development life-cycle from inception, through build to production)
- Compare various tools available in the market and prepare a list of recommended tools/applications/platforms.
- Using these recommended tools in a sand box environment which can be used as a proof of concept
- Setup the continuous integration (CI) environment from the list of recommended tools (e.g. Jenkins, Bamboo)
- Setup the development environments (e.g. various cloud environments SI, UAT, Staging and Production)
- Setup build deployment environment and automate deployments of release candidates
- Integrate and automate QA and development testing suite in CI environment.
- Development of tools if not available using scripts (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby)
- Supporting and working alongside agile development teams to ensure they have all the facilities to get the job done.
- Scripting, Splunk, KPI extraction skills
- At least 3 years experience as a Software Developer
- Knowledge and experience in Atlassian tool chain is an advantage (ie JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo)
- Working knowledge of either Agile, Scrum, Kanban or Waterfall methodologies
- Experience of working in Agile, Lean or Continuous Delivery teams
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A love for process and the automation of them
- Self-starter and highly motivated