Structural-Thermal Engineer (Thermodynamics Research)
£Competitve + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Applied research work typically spans Technology Readiness Level 3 to 7 and is linked with a well-defined product vision.
- Identify core technology specifications important to achieving the overall product vision specification
- Scope a technology investigation and identify major lead times, resource constraints, costs, and mismatches with the products milestone plan.
- Search, on-board and manage prototyping suppliers
- Build, test and trade-off feasible technology prototypes
- Optimise prototypes for product integration and representative operating conditions
- Assist with the selection of materials, manufacturing methods and suppliers for mass production
Fundamental research work typically spans TRL 0 to 5 and results in technology or fundamental knowledge which could feature in a future product.
- Identify an interesting core technology (or phenomenon) for investigation in line with the company vision
- Perform a background investigation of literature and patents
- Propose a scope of work and possible product applications
- Create a model of the technology and build prototypes
- Validate models and refine the prototype design.
- Willingness to work in an industry R&D environment which spans fundamental proof-of-concept research to design for mass manufacture.
- Work in an environment where project deadlines and project priorities can change on a weekly basis.
- Working on projects that may not benefit from fully defined technical specifications.
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly growing and evolving company environment where procedures and best practices are still being developed.
- Confident enough to present and defend research work in front of James Dyson.
- Undergraduate degree in science or engineering.
- Good understanding of heat transfer, mass transfer, materials, and manufacturing methods.
- Experience coding and validating numerical models of physical systems.
- Hands-on experience building experiment rigs, performing experiments and analysing data.