Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
The successful candidate has responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
•Technical Platform architecture, strategy and roadmap
•Innovation and emerging technologies
• Proof-of-Concept projects, lab trials, vendor/technology evaluation
• Customer/partner engagements
• Works closely with fellow Technical Architects and Security Architects, and wider business users to ensure robust, highly performing, reliable and scalable platform solutions are in place throughout all IT systems, both on-premise and cloud hosted.
• Leads the development of platform evolution use cases and long-term platform architecture in collaboration with business stakeholders, partners and fellow technical architects.
• Designs and recommends platform solutions to align with business, process and application requirements.
• Provides advice and consultation to various teams throughout the business on matters relating to infrastructure platform design and operation, including mentoring of infrastructure operations engineers and analysts.
• Last line of in-house support for Dyson infrastructure platform solutions deployed globally.
• Evolution of the wider Architect function within Dyson’s IT Design team through development of long term blueprints, and templates along with the vision to present these to the wider IT team.
• Extensive experience in infrastructure platforms engineering, architecture, design, and implementation in complex enterprise level systems.
• Experience architecting complex, scalable and secure solutions for infrastructure modernisation efforts.
• Experience in developing cost effective, solutions with infrastructure redundancy, to support high availability and disaster recovery.
• Strong foundation of networking and security concepts including routing, switching, VLANs, IP addressing, defense in depth, firewalls, Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting etc.
• Familiarity with analytic tools for assisting with designing for performance and scalability and advanced troubleshooting.
• Excellent foundation in modern server operating systems, management platforms and storage systems.
• Good skills in client OS management at an enterprise level.
• Strong experience in commercial dealings with hardware vendors and Solution Providers – either as customer or as provider.
• Solid understanding of cloud hosting solutions – SaaS, PaaS etc and the successful implementation of these in an enterprise.
• Exceptional documentation skills that can clearly articulate technical designs, issues and constraints, procedures, and network assessments.
• Strong conceptual thinking and communication skills including confident presentation skills.
• Ability to work well under minimal supervision and with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
• Team-oriented interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of people and roles, including vendors, IT and business personnel.
• Good understanding of technology and process optimization techniques e.g. standardisation, consolidation, simplification and automation and an appetite for continuous improvement.
• Comfortable working outside of core working hours when necessary to complete tasks.
• Able to travel to world-wide sites across the enterprise. Technologies of Interest – some or all of the following areas of expertise will be useful:
• Modern Server OS experience. Windows Server 2003 R2 – 2016 along with management of same – Group policy, SCCM SCOM etc.
• In depth experience with Active Directory and MS PKI technologies including ADFS, ADCS, NDES etc.
• Linux experience – RedHat/CentOS and/or SLES especially useful.
• In depth knowledge of design of Server Virtualisation platforms – ESX/vSPhere and/or HyperVM/SCVMM
• Good experience with Server Hardware platforms – HPE, Dell, Lenovo equipment especially relevant
• Strong Storage Area Network experience – FC, iSCSI, NFS, storage arrays including HPE 3Par, EVA, MSA, Dell MD3, EMC Isilon and Nimble. Software defined storage solutions. Archival/HSM experience – Spectrum/Tivoli or StorNext etc.
• Design for Client OS technologies – Windows 7/10, MacOS, Apple iOS
• Client management technologies – SCCM, Jamf Pro, XenMobile, Airwatch etc.
• Experience with Enterprise class monitoring tools – HPE OneView, Solarwinds, SCOM etc.
• MS Exchange – 2010/2016 and Exchange Online
• MS SQL – platform configuration and performance troubleshooting/optimisation
• MS SCCM – software distribution, packaging and management
• VMware Horizon – VDI with View, and Application deployment layering technologies and Application virtualisation Qualifications
• A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, network design or other related field; or equivalent work experience.
• Professional network vendor certifications such as Microsoft MCSE, Vmware VCP etc.
• Experience with ITIL and Prince 2, and knowledge of formal architecture methodologies (TOGAF, Zachmann, etc.)