Embedded Electronics Technology Leader
+competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360 Eye robotic vacuum cleaner, the connected Pure Cool Link purifier, the Supersonic hairdryer and investments in Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
Lead and take technical responsibility for the embedded electronics team covering multiple projects
- Work with the different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using their expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative electronic systems and solutions
- Ensure the team develops the concept, proves key technologies and demonstrates designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis prior to handover to the development teams
Sensor selection including, but not limited to, gas, particulate, audio, infrared.
Research into new sensor technologies and the design of sensor conditioning circuitry
The selection of microcontroller and processor systems
The development of simulation tools and algorithms for sensor data processing, modelling and analysis
Thermal management design of electronic systems
Ensure designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying design where needed
Assist in the personal development of the team and undertake appraisals of the team members.
Education and experience:
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
- Excellent general knowledge of microcontrollers, preferably including ARM Cortex M series
- Knowledge of a wide range of serial interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, UART, USB, I2S)
- Experience of FPGA design desirable.
Analogue hardware design:
- Experience of analogue amplification and signal conditioning circuitry
- Design of OP-AMP stages such as differential amplifiers, integrators etc.
- Experience of C/C++ programming for embedded systems
- Use of Matlab or Python for data acquisition and analysis
- Experience of VHDL or Verilog desirable
Essential behavioural skills:
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Excellent team working skills
- The ability to take the lead position within the team on a given area, whilst maintaining a collaborative, mentoring position with fellow team members
In order to increase your chances of being short listed please ensure you submit a supporting statement in addition to your CV clearly addressing how you meet the essential & desirable criteria as outlined above, plus details of your current and required package.