Technology Scout for China
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Technology Scout in China, to be located in Shanghai.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360 Eye robotic vacuum cleaner and recent acquisition of Sakti3 a solid state battery technology company. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
Reporting to the Director of Technology Scouting, you will join a team of global scouts responsible for identifying, evaluating and investing in external technologies to enhance our innovative approaches to making things that work better. A successful applicant will be expected to develop a strong network in China with local Entrepreneurs, Venture Capital and Universities. You will develop good rapport with not only external organisations but with the internal research and development teams at Dyson, maintaining a clear understanding of their needs. The applicant must have excellent written and verbal English skills and must be familiar with developing proposals for executive considerations.
- Building business cases and project proposals
- Identifying technology matches and researching associated information
- Dealing with intellectual property and contract negotiations
- Developing junior team members
- MSc or MA degree
- Broad knowledge and enthusiasm for science and technology
- Flexibility to travel as needed
- The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format in both Mandarin and English
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.