EMC Test Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Pension + Bonus
The role sits within the EMC Compliance team, which is an integral part of the wider Global Compliance team responsible for the robust and consistent implementation of product compliance plans targeting the global market. We are looking for a motivated and passionate team player, who is able to operate in a deliverables-driven team, demonstrating firm commitment at giving an essential contribution to the marketing of the ever growing and diversified range of Dyson products.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
For a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes our products different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson product are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, we play vital role in supporting the growth of Dyson.
A crucial quality shall be the ability to offer reliable and high standard support in an environment where compliance requirements coexist with multiple aspects of design, engineering, cost and marketing.
Other key responsibilities are:
- Ensure that the relevant EMC pre-compliance testing is carried out across the product’s portfolio and produce test reports based on detailed test records;
- Effectively liaise with the EMC Compliance Engineers to deliver and report accurate and reliable EMC test results;
- Work closely with the EMC Compliance Engineers and external certification bodies to deliver third party certifications;
- Work in and maintain the EMC laboratory test facilities in accordance with EN17025 quality standard with regard to testing, calibrations and data management;
- Degree or equivalent in an Engineering or Electronics/Telecommunications related subject
- Demonstrable experience of a broad range of EMC related activities, including working with third party organisations and managing technical data files
- Proven experience at initiating, conducting and completing the EMC certification of commercial products, including the ability of managing the associated administrative aspects
- Good knowledge of the technical requirements specified by the major EMC technical standards and ability to prepare and/or sign-off test reports
- Ability to perform testing according to the relevant test methods and procedures
- Being able to apply appropriate judgement criteria in order to enable the relevant business decisions
- Detailed and methodical approach to prepare test plans
- Good and detailed reporting skills
- Ability to handle a broad and complex workload
- Good organisational and record keeping skills
- Confident and persuasive communication skills
- Application of the above essential requirements to consumer products, appliances or similar high volume manufacturing environments
- Electronics engineering knowledge
- Being able to analyse test results and correlate them to the characteristics of the source phenomena
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, very generous leave, income protection, and private medical and dental care (level dependent). But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.