Test Rig Build Technician - Engineering Apprenticeship
£11,000 per annum, plus bonus and training
Malmesbury, Wiltshire, with training delivered in Berkeley, Gloucestershire
Dyson is forever innovating and developing new and exciting products. Working as part of the Test Rig Design & Build Team within Research, Design and Development, you will play an integral part in ensuring our new technologies and products are robust enough to deal with real world environments and customer use whilst maintaining performance requirements.
- Rig building in a timely, professional manner, to the highest quality standards, adhering to required processes & procedures, including: Health and safety (H&S) implementation and enforcement, risk assessment management, facility maintenance, test rig construction, test rig commissioning, PAT testing and issue reporting & resolution.
- Harness wiring, prototype wiring, panel wiring, cable assembly, soldering and electro/mechanical assembly.
- Assisting with selection, installation, configuration, maintenance, repair and modification of test equipment components as required.
- Maintain team documentation to ensure accurate status reporting.
The apprenticeship training will be delivered by our trusted training provider, SGS College, at their Berkley Campus in Gloucestershire. You will work towards achieving an EAL Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering as part of the Engineering Technician – 11. Product Design and Development Technician Standard.
The apprenticeship will take four years to complete, starting in October 2017. You will attend the SGS College campus in Berkeley, full time for the first year (during SGS College term times). During the second and third year, you will attend training at the college one day a week during term time and will work at Dyson full time otherwise. The fourth year will entirely be delivered onsite at Dyson with visits from an SGS assessor.
During the first year, you will study a variety of modules, including but not limited to:
- Using and communication technical information
- Wiring and testing electrical equipment and circuits
- Maintaining and testing process instrumentation and control devices
- Producing electrical or electronic engineering drawings using a CAD system
- Assembling, wiring and Testing Electrical Panels/Components mounted in enclosure
We're looking for people who demonstrate the drive, enthusiasm, self-motivation, teamwork skills and initiative to become a skilled technician at Dyson. You’ll need to have high attention to detail, be thorough and logical in your approach, and be able to work conscientiously without direct supervision. Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to keep accurate and detailed records is a must.
We want to see your commitment to a career in engineering and a demonstrable interest in engineering. You’re not here on a whim. We’re looking for inventive souls who instinctively solve problems and make things work better.
As part of the assessment process, successful candidates will be required to attend an assessment day at Dyson in Malmesbury during September (date TBC) and be ready to start the apprenticeship in the first week of October.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career.
Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.