Test Technician - EV Project
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 517 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source.
For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
• Carry out testing duties (including customer communication/results reporting) in a professional manner, to agreed timescales and to the highest quality standards, adhering to required processes & procedures, recording & communicating results/outputs clearly
• Execute duties which support testing tasks in a timely manner and to schedule where appropriate to minimise unexpected down-time / delays e.g. prototype product maintenance, equipment calibration, test preparation, scheduled lab maintenance, housekeeping, material ordering
• Learn and maintain knowledge of team-specific specialisms e.g. test procedures, physical principles, materials, product development risks, equipment, instrumentation.
• Write test reports and event summaries
• Lead some training/induction activities as required
• Participate in continuous improvement activities
• Contribute to the development of new test methods
• Offsite vehicle testing/filter life test – testing offsite on their own
• Rig building with development opportunity into; rig design including basic CAD, LabVIEW
• Fitting equipment and positioning of air quality sensors/air intake nozzles into test vehicles
• Setting up/researching/evaluating new lab equipment • Test item building for example filters • Purchasing equipment/parts for rig builds
• Previous experience in a test environment and demonstrated competency in the skills required for a test role highly desirable.
• Knowledge of basic mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, instrumentation, airflow and separation systems desirable
• Understanding of electrical safety testing or risk assessments desirable
• Quality focus and attention to detail – able to execute duties, following detailed instructions / processes / procedures to the letter where required, in a repeatable, consistent manner and to suitable timelines
• Thorough and logical approach • Ability to create accurate documentation and keep detailed records