VP of Communications and Public Relations - Dyson Americas
Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
San Francisco, CA
Dyson’s culture is unique.
Driven, inventive, technology-obsessed and decidedly un-corporate. The mindset is geared to constant challenge. And a global expansion at Dyson’s pace brings constant challenge. It’s not easy or comfortable, but it’s this way of working that drives performance.
Dyson suits people with the courage and resilience to find their own way, spotting opportunities where others don’t, and having the self-belief to persevere where others give up. “Good enough” isn’t good enough.
Experiences are more important than experience. And attitude counts as much as aptitude.
- This new person will create a world class integrated company brand communications strategy that proactively tells the Dyson story to influence key stakeholders, drive sales, and create Dyson advocates
- They will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization
- They will design a social media strategy centered around our new brand strategy that increases public views and external perception
- This individual will be an ambassador for the organization to the media and will exercise judgment to prioritize and amplify our media spend
- They will actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Dyson America’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- They will develop an internal strategy to communicate Dyson America’s future vision, support brand initiatives, and increase engagement. It is critical that they help to create a culture of 2 way communication
- This person will also proactively partner with leadership to identify emerging issues facing the organization and design strategies to help minimize their impact
- The new leader will need to develop a best in class communications function for the Americas that effectively partners with the business
We want someone who can come in and shape the best strategy for the this role based on their previous success. But there are some things without which they probably won’t find this role suitable. First, they will need to have a strong track record of success in a fast moving in-house communications function. Ideally they will have seen life from both sides of the communications/public relations arena (agency and in-house) but at the very least, they will know how to handle and build effective relationships with agency partners. The ideal candidate will have had experience advising senior executives on how to communicate their vision and brand messaging. They will have designed successful communications strategies and should also have a very robust list of technology industry media contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Ability to show that you can engage across borders and build lasting relationships
- Ability to build and effect change - at both a people and process level
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers